Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Birching (haha) for Autumn

Broiling in the 98-degree Georgia heat has me pining for cooler days.


Since I am going to have to go and purchase a specially-sized linoleum plate for my Hog Hammock project, I took the day and worked on some other, smaller pieces.


I had already carved a linoleum plate of a stand of birches, and one of a fern's stem. I began by mixing a copper-brown ink with a palette knife on my ink palette (a frame and glass I bought at a thrift store). At present, I am using water-soluble Speedball inks. I rarely use the ink straight from the tube; I like to have more control over the exact shade and hue of my colors. I made a border for the print by inking the edges of a blank 3"x4" piece of lino, and then printed the image of the fern on top, after the border dried. 




For my Birches print I mixed a sky-blue and rolled it using a brayer onto the the paper in the area I had marked off for the print. After the blue dried, I inked the plate and carefully aligned it over the previous layer, and laid the print down. 









It is important to press very firmly, using a baron, a large spoon, or a block to make sure the ink is fully transferred. If you are using a flexible lino plate, you can cheat a little bit by pulling up from one corner (while keeping the rest of the plate firmly in place), and checking to see if the print has fully transferred. 



Et voila! C'est fini! 


You can see (or purchase) the finished product, and see more of my work and my Etsy store.

Thanks for stopping by! 





No comments:

Post a Comment