Saturday, July 9, 2011

In Progress..... Hog Hammock

     Today I am hoping to start carving a plate for another print based on a visit I made to Sapelo Island a few summers ago. The Live Oak and the Moon was the first linocut I've done that I was satisfied with, and now I am in the planning stages for a lino of Hog Hammock, a unique community on the island -- the last true Geechee community on Georgia's barrier islands.
      Having meaningful subject matter -- whether it is meaningful because of the elements of design used, or the history of the subject, or the emotional content infused by the artist -- is the first step in making art that pulls the viewer in. At least, in my opinion, it's an important part. Hog Hammock is a vibrant community composed completely (according to what I have read) of the descendants of 400 slaves who lived on the island, supporting the lifestyle of the Spaldings, the plantation owners there (the ruins of the early Spalding house are pictured below). 


      Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something more concrete to show, and a little technique-oriented information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment